Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Inglorious Bastards Review

In lieu of my post of all of my favorite movies, I have decided to make up a list of all of my favs!!!

I will be making 1 post for each movie and going in to depth (or at least what I call depth) why I like them or what some of their flaws (although this is my favs list so there wont be many!)

Right now, my no. 1 is Inglorious Bastards




Now, I have always been a HUGE fan of Quentin Tarantino, and not to my surprise, Inglorious Bastards was no exception. The plot, the main thing that intrigued me about this movie. never have I seen a movie about a group of Jewish American soldiers going through Nazi occupied France scalping Nazi's. Then to add in a villain like Col. Hans Landa really sealed the deal for me.

Hans Landa is probably one of the most likably villains for me. Through the whole thing I knew he was killing massive amounts of people and STILL i liked him and wanted him to live! That is what made him one of my two favorite characters in this movie. Christoph Waltz made a performance of epic proportions and he really deserved that Oscar. (I think he made everyone like him in the opening scene at the Dreyfus' house in the beginning.
My other favorite character in the movie was Donny "The Bear Jew" Donowitz. I will admit I was biased at the beginning of the movie in his favor. Eli Roth has been a favorite director of mine for a while and I must admit, he looked very good all hunked up in that white wife beater. The Bear Jew made an eerie and passionate entrance when he was banging his way through the tunnel to beat a German soldier with a baseball bat, geared up with signatures from Jewish Americans from his home town Boston. Although it killed me when he died at the end!

I knew it was going to this but still, when you like a movie you get attached to characters and you don't want them to die but then they end up dying and you want to wish them back to life. That was the way with me (and many others) with The Bear Jew.

There was a great support cast to add to Brad Pitt's leading role. Hugo Stiglitz (played by Til Schweiger) made an imposing force as the murderous Nazi gone rogue. After killing 13 Gestapo officers. He was recruited by the Bastards and then the killing began.

Enough of the characters (although for me they made a lot of the movie) Quentin Tarantino did an excellent job directing, as per usual, and I really do think that this movie deserved the Oscar more than The Hurt Locker.

No comments:

Post a Comment